Morning registration and networking
Chairman’s opening speech
James Gooder, Vice President, Crude, Argus
THE EVOLUTION OF TECHNOLOGY IN WEST AFRICA
||Ice-breaker morning exercise
All attendees are asked to write on the board their main objectives for attending the Technical Focus Day and the key questions they’d like to address during the day
Keynote address: Opening up a world of new technology – the movement towards polymer-modified bitumen (PMB) and emulsions and the road to improved road durability and sustainability
Frank Ramsey Lartey, Chief Executive Officer, Platinum Seal and Core Construction
- Exploring the increasing demand for PMB and emulsions in west Africa
- Understanding the basics of PMB and emulsions and their benefits to road quality
- Examining developments in technology and ways to improve asphalt properties
- What do the requirements for PMB and emulsions mean for road contractors?
||A contractor’s perspective: Adopting the changing requirements and specifications
Frank Beer, Regional Technical Manager, Shell
- Focusing on higher quality to meet the increasing number of higher specifications required
- Creating quality asphalt with higher resistance to cracks, water resistance and durability
- Investing in new PMB to increase the quality of asphalt
- Assessing new technologies to improve the durability of roads
||Morning coffee and networking
EXPLORING NEW TECHNICAL DEVELOPMENTS IN PMB AND EMULSIONS
||Panel discussion: Investing in new technologies and testing to improve product quality at a reasonable cost
- Identifying purchasing decisions for construction equipment
- What criteria should be considered when assessing bitumen quality?
- Exploring the question of cost vs quality
- How is the industry promoting investment to increase the use of new technology in Africa?
- How does the use of SBS create better quality bitumen?
Djibril Kanazoe, President and Director General, Groupe Kanazoe
Giacomo Gellini, Partner and Managing Director, Gelcon Ltd.
MAINTENANCE AND REHABILITATION TECHNIQUES
||Community-based technology for the construction and maintenance of access/feeder roads in Nigeria
George Ngozi Omange, Former Consultant, Nigerian Building & Road Research Institute (NBRRI)
- Exploring the demand for road construction and maintenance in Nigeria
- Promoting new technologies for Low Volume Roads (LVR)
- Which technological advancements are aiding the development and improving the quality of roads?
|| Networking lunch
||Utilising emulsions for cost-effective maintenance techniques
Loic Fraboulet, Senior Technical Sales Manager EMEA, Ingevity
- Assessing the changing dynamics towards cold mix and increasing demand in west Africa
- Exploring the cost benefits of emulsions vs hot-mix asphalt
- Understanding the safety benefits of using emulsions over cutbacks
- Surface stressing with emulsions and aggregates in small villages
- Case study: the success story of adapting the approach to specific climates
||State-of-the-art of bitumen emulsions manufacturing and cost effective applications for road maintenance
Diego Massenza, General Manager, Massenza
- Bitumen emulsion manufacturing process and equipment
- Looking at examples of complete installations
- Investigating the use of bitumen emulsions for potholes repairing (blow patching technology)
- Surface dressing with combined machines
||Afternoon coffee and networking
Peer-to-peer networking roundtables, designed for in-depth discussion of a particular topic. Sign up to one of our working groups with 30 of your peers.
Roundtable 1: Adopting PMB in west Africa
Roundtable 2: Improving bitumen quality with PMB
Led by: Ben Torkornoo, Head of Operations, Ghana Oil Company Ltd (GOIL)
Roundtable 3: New generation additives for the production of high performance modified asphalt mixtures
Led by: Alessandro Giannattasio, Entrepreneur, Iterchimica
Roundtable 4: Exploring the need for maintenance and reviewing recycling techniques
||Close of Technical Focus Day
||Icebreaker networking drinks reception and conference registration