Key European drivers for biomass growth
- Keynote address: Industrial applications in Europe – what will be the new growth story?
- Understanding how companies can utilise biomass to meet emission targets
- How is the fossil fuel landscape impacting the biomass industry?
- New investments in the industry and new innovative solutions
- Where do we see the market beyond 2027?
Supply and demand balances
- A global future – cross-basin trading and competition across regions April Poore - Acting Editor, Argus
- Looking at differences between Europe and Asia customer demand
- Analysing how global consumption is impacted by government incentives and subsidies
- Examining the supply landscape from the US and Canada and future investments
- Understanding the impact of current price levels on supply routes
- Keynote panel discussion: Assessing the current supply-demand landscape and challenges with trading - EP Invest, Uniper, Pinnacle, Enviva
- How do we see the trading landscape between the US and Europe evolving?
- What new trading companies are on the market because of the coal-biomass switch?
- How will Europe overcome its main challenges of a lack of available material?
- How are companies looking to create arbitrage in the market to lower price risk?
- Are companies allocating certain long-haul tonnage to consumers or delaying supply?
- Securing long-term contracts with partners in Asia
Brodie Govan, Biomass Broker, Voyage Power
Vaughan Bassett, SVP Sales & Logistics, Pinnacle Renewable Energy
Nigel Hildyard, Business Development Director, EP Invest
Alfons van Weereld, Head of Biomass Sourcing & Trading, Uniper
Thomas Meth, Co-Founder and Executive Vice President of Sales & Marketing, Enviva
- Morning coffee and networking
- View from the forest sector: strengthening raw material supply in Europe and increasing competition for wood Fredrik Tärneberg - Manager Energy Products, Södra
- Assessing the current competition for raw materials in Sweden
- Expanding the availability of raw materials to new wood sources
- How much availability of saw dust is there in the region?
- Competition for saw dust - what will we do with recedes in the future?
- Focus on Asia: exploring the supply-demand balance in the growing Asian demand context
- Addressing demand in Japan, South Korea and China
- How is the industry overcoming the challenge of a lack of material in Asia?
- What new supply trade flows are we witnessing into Asia?
- How much supply can we expect from Asia as a share of the global total?
- Assessing the movement towards palm kernel shell (PKS) and coconut husks
- Understanding current price levels for pellets
- Reviewing new trading trends surrounding waste wood and usage of recycled material Olivier Thomas - CEO, SUEZ Trading Europe
- Looking at new trading trends emerging and new supply outlets
- How are regulations driving the recycling wood industry forward?
- How companies can set up new value chains to incorporate different feedstocks
- Assessing past and current pricing levels
- Networking lunch
Pricing, costs and hedging risk
- Securing feedstock availability at the right price in a volatile market
- How have weather conditions and harvesting impacted the cost of biomass?
- What are the costs for industrial pellets?
- How is the price in Asia impacting global trade flows?
- Utility and producer trading panel debate: managing trading costs, risk and hedging - Argus, EEX, Ørsted, Engie, Tradition
- Exploring the options of exporting products while hedging risk
- How has the issue of US exchange rates becoming challenging for the industry?
- What are the opportunities for trade and pellet absorption in Europe?
- How to get people to trade around the index of financial
- Looking at different trading efficiencies in the market, including OTC and on screen
Freddie Staermose, Vice President - Generation Fuels & Dry Bulks, Argus
Robert Seehawer, Senior Business Developer, EEX
Ralf Dickgreber, Head of Bulk and Freight Trading, Engie
Søren Alsing, Head of Fuel, Bioenergy & Thermal Power, ØrstedFrançois Megret, Biomass Derivatives Broker, Tradition
- Afternoon coffee and networking
Government support and regulation
- UK focus: the role of biomass in the UK in reducing emissions and meeting greenhouse gas (GHG) targets Siobhan Sherry - Head of Biomass Electricity, Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy
- Reviewing carbon capture storage projects and how scale can be deployed
- Looking at new GHG targets for pellets in the UK – how can industry comply?
- Addressing biomass technologies and changes over time to meet industry needs
- Japan focus: What can companies expect from the feed-in tariff (FIT) scheme in Japan beyond 2019? Yoshinobu Kusano - Senior Advisor, Renova
- Reviewing updates on the FIT scheme in Japan – what can the market expect?
- What are the updates on the FIT scheme?
- How companies can meet government requirements
- Arbaheat: The EU’s largest biomass grant to limit carbon emissions and boost biomass Bjørn Halvard Knappskog, Rune Brusletto - CEO and CTO, Arbaflame
- Understanding project timelines and the positive impact in Rotterdam
- Assessing the benefits of the steam treated biomass technology
- Making use of heat generation
Creating a biomass hub in Rotterdam
- Panel discussion: Creating a distribution hub for wood pellets in Europe - Port of Rotterdam
- How is Rotterdam strategically positioned to aid biomass supply?
- What are the different pathways to go through the energy and industry transition?
- How can ports assist with the movement of global industrial pellets?
- How can the Port create a distribution hub to aid and enhance the overall supply chain?
Overcoming sustainability issues
- The sustainability story for large scale biomass: examining the next steps Peter Kofod Kristensen - Senior Lead Sustainability Advisor, Fuel & Logistics, Ørsted
- How can large industrial plants continue to support a sustainable business?
- Identifying sustainability measures across the supply chain, including sustainable sourcing
- Sustainable sourcing of around 2.5 million tons of pellets and chips
- Morning coffee and networking
- Examining the developments of sustainability standards in South Korea Marco Kim - Global Cooperation Advisor, Korea Forest Biomass Energy Association
- What will the future look like for quality standards?
- How can harmonising sustainability standards with global partners improve the industry?
- How are large industrial players playing a part in sustainability?
Expanding infrastructure and storage
- SBP: Year of transition Carsten Huljus - CEO, SBP
- Facts and figures on certificates, geographies and volumes
- Multi-stakeholder governance transition
- Strategy review
- Kick-off standards revision
- Networking lunch
Global investments in biomass
- Case study: meeting pellet demand with new production capacity in Brazil Afonso Bertucci - Technical Director, PellCo
- The benefits of being strategically located to favour high productivity of forests
- Investing in logistics including railways to support transport to ports
- Understanding certification standards
- Case study: Coal-to-biomass plant conversions in South Korea and status updates
- Results from recent coal-to-biomass unit 1 conversion
- Exploring fuel handling upgrades to convert a combination of pellets, wood chips and PKS
- Working closely with construction companies to improve operational efficiency
New advances in biomass
- Cutting emissions by combining carbon capture and storage (CCS) and biomass
- Capturing carbon from biomass processing
- Delivering negative thermal emissions and the benefits to the environment
- Securing investments for new projects
- Launching the largest project for renewable energy storage in the Nordics based on biomass cogeneration
- Balancing out production from unstable sources including wind and solar
- Storing energy based on lithium-ion batteries charged by biomass cogeneration
- Increasing flexibility of the energy markets and ensuring security of supply