Price benchmark for European propane and butane (LPG)
Argus publishes the key benchmark for assessing the value of large LPG (propane and butane) cargoes delivered to and within northwest Europe. The Argus assessment is used for the settlement of swaps on major commodities exchanges.
Advantages of the Argus cif ARA LPG price assessments
Propane and butane are essential feedstocks in the production of petrochemicals in Europe and key heating and transport fuels in numerous markets across the continent. The Argus LPG large cargo cif Amsterdam-Rotterdam-Antwerp (ARA) assessments provide a key reference for market participants in Europe for the production, trade and consumption of LPG.
As the most liquid price assessment in the region, market participants benefit not only from the transparency that the assessments bring to the value of LPG, but also the option to hedge against price fluctuations through exchange-listed swaps, which settle exclusively on the Argus large cargo benchmark.
How are the Argus cif ARA price assessments used?
The Argus cif ARA large cargo LPG assessments are used by all types of market participant including traders, risk managers, planners, analysts, finance officers, governments, regulators, tax authorities, producers, refiners and petrochemical companies, as well as supply and purchasing managers, for transactions related to:
- Long-term contracts: Annual/multi-year contracts for physical delivery based on the daily Argus assessments between producers or refiners and offtakers;
- Royalties and duties: The calculation of royalties and other taxes related to the production of LPG;
- Spot deals: For the delivery of individual cargoes of LPG to northwest Europe;
- Risk management: As an invaluable tool for distributors, financial institutions and other participants to manage risk in long-term contracts;
- Analysis: For prospective and current investors and analysts to understand the value of LPG in Europe and make informed decisions based on the assessments.
How to access Argus LPG price assessments
The Argus cif ARA large cargo propane and butane assessments are published daily in Argus International LPG. This service delivers trusted price assessments alongside insightful market commentary, news and analysis.