Latest market news

TotalEnergies says no progress on French oil strikes

  • : Crude oil, Oil products
  • 22/10/13

TotalEnergies said today that no progress has been made yet on resuming oil product deliveries to service stations from its French oil depots and refineries, where workers remain on strike in a dispute over pay.

The necessary conditions to organise negotiations between all the representative unions have not been met because members of the CGT union are still blocking deliveries, the company said. TotalEnergies initially demanded that operations at refineries resume as a condition for starting negotiations, but it is now saying that it only wants deliveries from depots to restart. The company had wanted deliveries to resume at 05:00 local time (04:00 GMT) but the CGT refused. "We consulted the strikers and they refused by a massive majority, they don't accept this requirement to negotiate," the union said.

The CGT called a strike at TotalEnergies' French refineries last month. The industrial action first shut the firm's 246,900 b/d Gonfreville refinery — France's largest — and its 109,300 b/d Feyzin refinery. Staff at the company's Carling petrochemical site, its Flanders logistics depot and its 500,000 t/yr La Mede hydrotreated vegetable oil plant also downed tools.

Workers at TotalEnergies' third French refinery — the 219,000 b/d Donges plant — voted to start a strike from 12 October, after the French prime minister Elisabeth Borne said the government would requisition workers at ExxonMobil's French refineries to resume oil product deliveries. Workers at ExxonMobil's 236,000 b/d Port Jerome refinery, the adjacent Gravenchon petrochemical plant and the firm's 133,000 b/d Fos refinery have been on strike for over three weeks, also over pay. The requisition announcement led to the industrial action being renewed on 12 October. The government has called back two workers a day at Port Jerome and oil product flows from stocks resumed through the pipeline supplying the Paris region yesterday.

TotalEnergies met with CGT representatives yesterday to discuss the situation, after the government said it would also requisition workers at its facilities if no progress was made on negotiations.

By Caroline Varin and Adam Porter


Related news posts

Argus illuminates the markets by putting a lens on the areas that matter most to you. The market news and commentary we publish reveals vital insights that enable you to make stronger, well-informed decisions. Explore a selection of news stories related to this one.

24/07/14

Trump survives apparent assassination attempt: Update

Trump survives apparent assassination attempt: Update

Updates with changes throughout Washington, 14 July (Argus) — Former US president Donald Trump was grazed by a sniper bullet during a campaign rally in Pennsylvania on Saturday but survived what appears to have been an assassination attempt. The suspected shooter was killed by US Secret Service agents. A rally attendee was also killed, and two other spectators were critically wounded in the incident at a campaign stop in Butler County, Pennsylvania, the Secret Service said. Televised images showed Trump with what appeared to be blood on his right ear and face being escorted from the stage by Secret Service agents. Trump managed to pump his fist while being rushed off the stage. He was taken to a local medical facility for treatment. "I was shot with a bullet that pierced the upper part of my right ear," Trump said later on his social media platform Truth Social. "I knew immediately that something was wrong in that I heard a whizzing sound, shots, and immediately felt the bullet ripping through the skin. Much bleeding took place, so I realized then what was happening." Trump said "it is incredible that such an act can take place in our Country." President Joe Biden said he was grateful to hear Trump was "safe and doing well" and said he was trying to reach out to his political opponent. "There's no place for this kind of violence in America," Biden said. "We must unite as one nation to condemn it." The suspected shooter fired multiple shots toward the event stage from an "elevated" position outside of the rally security perimeter, the Secret Service said. Secret Service personnel "neutralized" the shooter, the Secret Service said. Trump is scheduled to accept his party's nomination for president next week at the Republican national convention in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. By Haik Gugarats and David Ivanovich Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2024. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.

Injured Trump rushed from campaign rally


24/07/13
24/07/13

Injured Trump rushed from campaign rally

Washington, 13 July (Argus) — Former US president Donald Trump was rushed from the stage of a campaign rally with an apparent injury to his head after an incident possibly involving gun shots. Televised images showed Trump with what appeared to be blood on his right ear and face being escorted from the stage by US Secret Service agents during a campaign stop in Butler County, Pennsylvania. Trump managed to pump his fist while being rushed off the stage. "President Trump thanks law enforcement and first responders for their quick action during this heinous act," his campaign said. "He is fine and is being checked out at a local medical facility. More details will follow." Trump is scheduled to accept his formal nomination as the Republican candidate for president next week when the Republican Party holds its convention in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The White House said President Joe Biden was being briefed by the chief of the Secret Service and other officials on the incident at Trump's rally. By Haik Gugarats Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2024. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.

India to offer 25 oil, gas blocks in 10th round: Update


24/07/12
24/07/12

India to offer 25 oil, gas blocks in 10th round: Update

Mumbai, 12 July (Argus) — India will offer a total of 25 oil and gas blocks in the tenth bidding round in August or September, according to a senior Directorate General of Hydrocarbons (DGH) official. The offer will cover 13 sedimentary basins, including six onland blocks with an estimated area of 16,871km², six shallow water blocks covering 41,391km², one deepwater block of 9,991km², and 12 ultra deepwater blocks of 12,3733km², the DGH official said. India offered 136,596.45 km² in 28 upstream oil and gas blocks in the ninth bidding round under the Hydrocarbon Exploration and Licensing Policy's (HELP) Open Acreage Licensing Programme (OALP). The deadline for this round has been extended thrice , with the latest one to 31 August as the government wanted to provide much more granular data about the blocks to help upstream companies make a decision, DGH director-general Pallavi Jain Govil told reporters on the sidelines of an industry conference. India also extended the deadline for bids for a special upstream bidding round to 16 August from 15 July earlier. It had invited bids for two discovered small oil and gas fields located in the Mumbai offshore region and one coal-bed methane (CBM) gas field in West Bengal. The conclusion of the ninth round will have a key role to play in the launch of the tenth round as foreign participants have raised key issues with the oil ministry, including ones related to indemnity and compensation, a government official said. These issues have been holding back foreign firms from investing in India. With bigger blocks on offer, there are expectations that it will elicit interest from foreign participants as the government tries to resolve issues raised by these companies. The move by the government to provide more data to bidders by placing it in the National Data Repository is expected to reverse the tepid response in previous drilling rounds. It is not yet known if this round will elicit interest from foreign participants, as has mostly been the case in previous auctions. India's upstream licensing has largely been dominated by domestic participants. Indian state-controlled refiner ONGC in January bagged seven of the 10 areas in exploration blocks offered under India's eighth open acreage licensing policy drilling round. A private-sector consortium of Reliance Industries (RIL) and BP, state-controlled Oil India and private-sector Sun Petrochemicals received one block each. India's hydrocarbon exploration has been lacking because of slow policy implementation, despite its huge demand for oil and gas. The DGH is working to minimise the approval time to increase domestic production and decrease import dependency on oil and gas. Lackluster discoveries, shrinking exploration capital and a complicated tax regime have also limited foreign interest. The DGH has also started an efficiency department recently to focus on enhanced oil recovery techniques with the use of carbon capture, use and storage technology, Pallavi Jain said during a panel discussion. By Rituparna Ghosh Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2024. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.

Biden brushes aside calls to end candidacy


24/07/12
24/07/12

Biden brushes aside calls to end candidacy

Washington, 12 July (Argus) — President Joe Biden said on Thursday he will not end his re-election bid despite calls from Democratic lawmakers and donors who have raised doubts about his ability to defeat former president and Republican nominee Donald Trump. "I believe I'm the best qualified to govern, and I think I'm the best qualified to win," Biden told reporters following the conclusion of a three-day NATO summit in Washington. "I beat [Trump] once, and I will beat him again." Biden's televised debate with Trump last month led some Democratic lawmakers to urge him to end his campaign, and even senior Democrats like former House of Representatives speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-California) suggested that Biden should decide soon whether to remain in the race. Biden in his debate, which he called a "stupid mistake," often appeared feeble and confused and struggled to clearly articulate his policy positions. But Biden appeared stronger and more coherent in his solo press conference on Thursday — the first since November — in part because he talked about his international initiatives, which he considers among his strongest policy strengths. Biden cited NATO's security support for Ukraine and his administration's efforts to achieve a ceasefire in Gaza among his accomplishments. During the NATO summit this week fellow leaders "made it a point in their statements to thank the US and to thank me personally for all that NATO has achieved," Biden said, as a counterpoint to Trump's frequent criticism of the military alliance. Biden acknowledged that his age and medical conditions have led him to curtail his work schedule, with no engagements after 8pm, even though several late evening events were on his agenda during the NATO summit. He appeared to blame his staff for putting too many events on his schedule. Biden earlier attributed his poor performance during the debate to two transatlantic trips in June, to attend the 80th anniversary of the Normandy landing in France and to participate in the G7 summit in Italy. Even with a clearly stronger performance today — Biden took multiple questions during an hour-long press conference that ended at 8:30pm ET — his tendency to misspeak will continue to fuel his critics. At a NATO event earlier today, Biden mistakenly introduced Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskiy as Russian president Vladimir Putin, while NATO leaders watched uncomfortably. "I am better [than Putin]," Zelenskiy jokingly retorted, while Biden said he thought too much about how to "beat Putin." And Biden referred to vice president Kamala Harris as "vice president Trump" during the press conference. Harris is qualified to serve as president but "I am the most qualified person to run," Biden repeatedly said. "I am the qualified person to do the job to make sure that Ukraine will not fall, that Ukraine succeeds, that the European alliance stays strong." Biden said he would only drop out of the race if his staff told him polls "showed there's no way you can win." At the summit, NATO members decided to establish an organization formally tasked with coordinating military assistance and training for Ukraine's armed forces, rather than have the US alone lead the effort. Referencing Trump's criticism of NATO and frequent adoration of Putin, Biden said that the election "is much more than the political question — it's a national security issue." Biden referred to several unnamed NATO leaders who told him: "You've got to win. You can't let this guy come forward. It'd be a disaster." The NATO summit declaration also accused China of covertly assisting the Russian war effort by providing key components for weapons. The US previously threatened to impose sanctions against Chinese companies allegedly helping the Russian defense industry. "I'm not prepared to talk about the details of [potential new sanctions] in public," Biden said. "I think you'll see that some of our European friends are going to be curtailing their involvement" in China. Biden said he would not sit down to negotiate with Putin over Ukraine "unless Putin's ready to change his behavior." Hungary's prime minister Victor Orban met with Zelenskiy, Putin and Chinese president Xi Jinping earlier this month to discuss a possible Ukraine peace deal, and he plans to meet with Trump on Friday. The Biden administration has dismissed Orban's mediation as unhelpful. By Haik Gugarats Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2024. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.

Sonatrach restarts Skikda bitumen plant after 4-yr halt


24/07/11
24/07/11

Sonatrach restarts Skikda bitumen plant after 4-yr halt

London, 11 July (Argus) — Algeria's state-owned oil firm Sonatrach has resumed production at its Skikda bitumen plant after shutting it back in 2020 when it ran short of supplies of heavy refinery residue feedstock. The company received a 10,000t cargo of atmospheric straight-run residue from a Mediterranean refiner in recent weeks, enabling bitumen production at Skikda to restart. Sonatrach plans to produce up to 100,000 t/yr of bitumen at Skikda, matching current output at its bitumen unit in Arzew. This will help meet domestic demand in Algeria, which is largely dependent on imports. Demand was an estimated 600,000-700,000t last year. Demand has risen in recent months ahead of Algeria's presidential elections, which were brought forward earlier this year by three months to 7 September. Local suppliers expect bitumen consumption in the country to peak in July and August this year at 80,000-90,000 t/month, driven by a concerted push by the government for contractors to complete road and highway projects before the elections. Sonatrach imported its large-scale bitumen cargo volumes into a string of terminals that it runs along the Algerian coast in annual tenders up until 2021 when Spain's Cepsa was awarded the volumes. But bitumen and other trade between Algeria and Spain was suspended the following year after Madrid publicly recognised Morocco's autonomy plan for Western Sahara. Sonatrach has since mainly relied on flows from its 198,000 b/d Augusta refinery in Sicily. Algeria has also imported cargoes from other places in the Mediterranean including Greece. By Keyvan Hedvat Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2024. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.

Business intelligence reports

Get concise, trustworthy and unbiased analysis of the latest trends and developments in oil and energy markets. These reports are specially created for decision makers who don’t have time to track markets day-by-day, minute-by-minute.

Learn more