Assessing key biomass drivers in the Nordics and Baltics
- Registration and morning refreshments
- Chairperson’s opening remarks and antitrust reminder Freddie Staermose - Vice President - Generation Fuels & Dry Bulks, Argus
- Industrial keynote speech: Exploring future carbon reduction strategies for net zero emissions Adam Pawelas - Sustainability Director Integrated Supply Chain, Carlsberg
- Carlsberg Group perspective and developments in food/beverage sector
- Looking at long-term strategies to become carbon neutral
- Low carbon fuels to improve sustainability
- Reviewing feasibility studies for the use of biomass and biomass boilers
- Keynote speech: Understanding price drivers and volatility in the wood pellet market and perspectives to other fuels Anders Fenger - Senior Business Analyst, Ørsted
- Exploring statistics, seasonality, correlations and other characteristics of wood pellet prices and volatility
- Understanding explanatory factors driving wood pellet prices and volatility
- Assessing wood pellet prices in relation to alternative fuels including wood chips, straw, coal, CO2 and gas
- Live polling - Utility keynote panel discussion: Reviewing demand drivers in the region and exploring new sourcing strategies Ørsted, Hofor, Danpower Eesti, UAB Vilniaus Kogeneracinė Jėgainė
- Where do we see demand increasing for biomass across the region?
- Which new regions are emerging as sourcing potential including Russia, Poland and Belarus?
- What are the trends with smaller CHPs converting to wood chips and the impact on supply and demand balances?
Gilles Gauthier, Certification Director, Bioenergy Europe
Søren Alsing, Head of Fuel, Ørsted
Michael Schytz, Head of Fuel and Logistics, Hofor
Juhan Aguraiuja, Head of Project Development, Danpower Eesti
Valentas Rutkauskas, Project Manager, UAB Vilniaus Kogeneracinė Jėgainė
- Morning coffee and networking
Re-balancing the raw material and biomass supply demand landscape
- Identifying the role of the Nordics and Baltics in a European and global perspective April Poore - Acting Editor, Argus
- How the pellet and wood chip markets are evolving in the Nordics and Baltics
- Which new suppliers to Europe are emerging including the US and Russia?
- How do large biomass consumers outside of the region view the Nordics and Baltics?
- Strategic implications of future biomass supply-demand trends in the Baltic Sea region - Reserved for Pöyry
- Which countries and industry sectors will drive demand in the region and can it be sustained?
- What are the key uncertainties for future market development?
- Which strategic challenges and opportunities arise from the future market outlook?
- Networking lunch
- A view from the Russian market: Russia’s future role in the Nordics and Baltics biomass market Sergey Larchenko - Non-Executive Director, Peltrade
- Understanding current and future production capacity and export opportunities
- Exploring infrastructure and logistics to export to Europe and Asia
- What are the opportunities for the Baltics market?
- Producer panel discussion: Adapting to a new raw material landscape and coping with volatility Ekman, Viken AT Market, Rainbow Pellet
Focusing on the availability of sawdust, roundwood, hardwood and fibre in the region and beyond, the affect on premium and industrial pellet supply, and the impact volatility has had on prices
- How will producers adapt to tight balances and availability of raw materials?
- How is the premium market affected by the lack of sawdust?
- What is the impact of more roundwood exports to Scandinavia have on the sawmills?
- Will the abundance of hardwood over softwood increase industrial pellet production in the future?
Arnold Dale, Vice President Bioenergy, Ekman
Stig Hellerud, Supply Chain Manager, Viken AT Market
David Wong, Founder, Rainbow Pellet
- Afternoon coffee and networking
- Exploring the key drivers behind the increasing interest in waste fuels including capacity, costs and pricing Lauma Kazuša - Head of Market Analysis, SUEZ Trading Europe
- How the waste fuel user landscape is changing from utilities and heating networks to integrated industrial users
- Understanding regulatory challenges – permits, trade restrictions
- Is the trend spreading further East including Russia and Belarus?
Overcoming raw material quality issues and biomass certification
- Understanding the implementation of the SBP system and the implications across the value chain Carsten Huljus - Chief Executive Officer, SBP
- Exploring the strategy review – certification requirements across the value chain
- What are the best practices to meet SBP requirements with multiple suppliers?
- Meeting SBP requirements and retaining high quality of biomass material
- Chairperson’s closing remarks Freddie Staermose - Vice President - Generation Fuels & Dry Bulks, Argus
- Networking drinks reception at the Royal Danish Library
Continue your networking informally into the evening during the drink’s reception.
The impressive building sits on Copenhagen's waterfront, first built in 1906 and extended in 1996, with the imposing ‘black diamond’ now a pivotal point of Copenhagen's landscape. The library is the biggest in the Nordic countries and one of the largest worldwide and provides a place for the varied culture across Copenhagen to come together. Join us for drinks on the Kirkeby bridge and be immersed in the surrounding artworks and panoramic views of the harbour.
Addressing the need for improved logistics and storage solutions
- Panel discussion: Adapting supply chain strategies based on regional infrastructure SCANDBIO, Fortum, Wood Pellet Services
Exploring solutions to security of supply and financial responsibilities
- What does the current storage landscape look like in the Nordics and Baltics?
- How important are stockpiles for back-up in case of future lack of supply?
- What investments are being made to improve infrastructure?
Claus Mogensen, Country Manager, Denmark, SCANDBIO
Kristaps Knesis, Biomass Portfolio Manager, Fortum
Tiago Andrade, Director, Wood Pellet Services
- What’s the capacity and availability of coasters – who will stay in the region? Sasja Christensen - Research Manager - Dry Bulk, Maersk Broker
- The place of biomass within dry bulk freight market
- Assessing seasonality in freight markets
- How are freight rates developing over short-term horizon?
- Morning coffee and networking
- Case study: Investing in the storage landscape for security of premium pellet supply into Europe Michael Christensen - Chief Operations Officer, CM Biomass
- Operating global storage facilities
- Improving security of supply for the pellet industry
- Taking a look at new investments in Savannah and how this can impact the European market
A closer look at the pellet market
- Exploring biomass market developments and regulations in Poland Patryk Dunal, Małgorzata Jędrychowska - Head of Biomass Procurement and Director Market Ops. Department, Enea
- Enea’s view on the Polish market
- Reviewing Polish regulation regarding biomass
- Support scheme for Energy & Heat production from biomass
- An overview of how the premium pellet supply demand is changing Johan Granath - Senior Vice President, Bioenergy, Ekman
- Assessing the future availability of raw materials for premium pellets
- How has increased premium pellet prices impacted supply demand dynamics?
- What’s the future of premium pellets in the region?
- Networking lunch
Increasing use of wood chips in the heating market
- Case study: Key sourcing challenges for a mid-sized company building a new biomass plant and learning from experiences Erik Werner Keis - Operation Support, Helsingor Utilities
- Exploring the first major plant and expanding the sourcing pool to meet wood chip demand
- Creating a long-term plan for sourcing and overcoming challenges in purchasing in a totally new market environment
- Handling logistics, storage and transportation with a touch of modern technology
- Case study: Building a district heating network in the Estonia and looking at increasing consumption Juhan Aguraiuja - Head of Project Development, Danpower Eesti
- Key drivers towards usage of wood chips and expectations of growing demand
- Exploring investments in additional and reserved capacity to improve plant efficiencies
- Implementing new digital technologies for better utilisation of data
- Afternoon coffee and interactive roundtables
Join 10-15 peers with the same business ideas and strategies as you, and explore in small groups the answer to one of the below topics. Led by an industry thought-leader.
Roundtable 1: Sourcing wood chips from new regions
Led by: Jamie Aldridge, Reporter, Argus
Roundtable 2: Contracts – how can these be better drafted? Borrowing lessons from other liquid commodity markets
Led by: Andy Hill, Managing Director, Cynosure Partners
Roundtable 3: Alternative fuels: How to balance technology and new feedstocks to reduce operational and business risks
Led by: Lauma Kazuša, Head of Market Analysis, SUEZ Trading Europe