Generic Hero BannerGeneric Hero Banner
Últimas notícias do mercado

Iran says diplomacy, negotiations continue

  • Mercados: Crude oil, Fertilizers, LPG, Natural gas, Oil products
  • 18/05/26

Iran's foreign ministry has said negotiations with Washington aimed at ending the war are continuing, even as US President Donald Trump issues increasingly incendiary rhetoric towards Tehran.

Trump last week described Tehran's response to a US plan to end the war was "totally unacceptable" and a "piece of garbage" that he did not finish reading. He said the ceasefire, which has been in place since 8 April, was "on life support."

At the weekend, Trump issued new threats against Tehran, saying "the clock is ticking" and that Iran had "better get moving, FAST, or there won't be anything left of them."

On Monday, Iran's foreign ministry spokesman Esmail Baghaei dismissed Washington's framing of the negotiations.

"After we presented our 14-point plan, the American side raised its concerns. In return, we also raised our concerns," he said. "And last week, despite the American side publicly announcing that the plan was rejected, we still received a set of amendments via our Pakistani mediators."

Iran's latest response to the US was sent on Sunday 17 May, he said, and "the process continues through Pakistan."

Iran's nuclear activities remain the foremost sticking point between the sides, with Trump repeatedly insisting Iran cannot be allowed to have a nuclear weapon.

Iranian state media on Sunday published five conditions the US has set for Iran to secure a deal, including the shuttering of all but one nuclear facilities, and the transfer of Iran's stockpile of highly enriched uranium to the US.

Baghaei today would not be drawn on the US proposals, but reiterated Iran's right to enrich uranium is protected as a signatory to the non-proliferation treaty (NPT), and is therefore up for neither negotiation nor compromise.

Planning for Hormuz

The unresolved situation means shipping is still disrupted through the strait of Hormuz.

Trump has over the past two months repeatedly claimed agreements with Iran that he said should restore at least some traffic through the strait. But little has changed since the start of the war, prompting Washington to impose last month a blockade of its own on vessels travelling to and from Iranian ports.

Argus reported in April that Iran's parliament was discussing a bill to formalise and govern Tehran's oversight and management of traffic through the strait. At that point, the bill had secured the approval from parliament's national security council, but had not been brought to parliament.

Speaking at the weekend, Ebrahim Azizi, head of parliament's national security council, said this framework "to manage traffic in the strait" had been prepared, and would "be unveiled soon."

"Under this framework, only commercial vessels and parties co-operating with Iran can benefit from it," Azizi said. The route will be closed to operators of Project Freedom, he said, referring a US operation to support vessels stranded in the Mideast Gulf to exit through the strait.

Speaking on Monday, Baghaei said Iran is "in continuous contact with Oman and other relevant countries" as it develops this new mechanism. Iranian and Omani experts met on the matter last week, he said.


Compartilhar
Generic Hero Banner

Business intelligence reports

Get concise, trustworthy and unbiased analysis of the latest trends and developments in oil and energy markets. These reports are specially created for decision makers who don’t have time to track markets day-by-day, minute-by-minute.

Learn more