Argus Benchmark Administration B.V. (ABA) is authorised by the Netherlands Authority for the Financial Markets (Autoriteit Financiële Markten (AFM)) pursuant to Article 34(1)(a) of the EU Benchmark Regulation (2016/1011) and is listed as an authorised benchmark administrator in the European Securities & Markets Authority (ESMA) public register.
ABA currently administers the benchmarks listed below. These instruments are currently listed on UK-based exchanges, and are therefore not technically in scope of the EU’s Benchmark Regulation (BMR). All benchmarks administered by ABA adhere to the IOSCO Principles for Oil Price Reporting Agencies, including an annual assurance review by an independent external auditor.
- Gasoline Eurobob oxy NWE barge — published as part of the Argus European Oil Products service
- Coal API 2 index (cif ARA) — This Argus/IHS McCloskey benchmark includes the Argus component of the coal index: cif ARA 6,000 kcal, published as part of the Argus Coal service
- Coal API 4 index (fob Richards Bay) — This Argus/IHS McCloskey benchmark includes the Argus component of the coal index: fob Richards Bay 6,000 kcal, published as part of the Argus Coal service
- Biodiesel Rapeseed OME RED ARA range barge fob — London close, published as part of the Argus Biofuels service
- Biodiesel FAME 0°C CFPP RED ARA range barge fob — London close, published as part of the Argus Biofuels service
European Market Correction Mechanism
The LNG price assessments listed below are notified by ABA to the Agency for the Cooperation of Energy Regulators (ACER) under the EU Market Correction Mechanism regulation (EU 2022/2578). These assessments are used by ACER as part of a calculation to establish a reference price for the activation and de-activation of a possible bidding limit for derivatives contracts. None of the LNG price assessments listed below currently fall within the scope of the EU BMR.
- LNG ‘Northwest Europe des – half-month 2’
- LNG ‘Iberian peninsula des – half-month 2’
- LNG ‘Italy des – half-month 2’
- LNG ‘Greece des – half-month 2’
- LNG ‘Northeast Asia des (ANEA) – half-month 2’
Argus price assessments seek to reflect market value and use an appropriate methodology that reflects the way each commodity market trades. These methodologies are developed in consultation with market stakeholders and are reviewed regularly. They are publicly available on our website and are governed by the Argus Global Compliance Policy.
Argus methodology consultations
Argus continually reviews each methodology to ensure that the price assessments it publishes continue to reflect market value and are in line with industry practice. Argus seeks to accurately and objectively reflect the way markets are traded.
Argus benchmark rationales
For Argus benchmarks used by exchanges to settle listed derivative contracts, Argus publishes a daily explanation of the assessment rationale with supporting data. This information is available to permissioned subscribers and other stakeholders on request.
Subscribers may submit complaints against ABA and ABA personnel in relation to benchmarks administered by ABA.
Argus Benchmark Administration B.V., Office 1.05, Keizersgracht 555, Amsterdam 1017 DR