Overview
The importance of sustainable and specialty fertilizer markets has grown as producers diversify their product ranges and end users seek more efficient fertilizer compositions. These developments have been further impacted by the drive towards sustainability, which has accelerated interest in these markets.
Argus market experts have many years of experience in these sectors, incorporating price reporting, cost calculations, fundamentals analysis and forecasting.
We support the industry by bringing understanding and clarity to clients through:
- Newly launched Argus Sustainable and Specialty Fertilizers price reporting service
- Annual Argus Water-Soluble Fertilizer Strategy Report
- Bespoke consulting project support
Latest sustainable and specialty fertilizers news
Browse the latest market moving news on the global sustainable and specialty fertilizers markets
US threatens indefinite blockade on Iran: Update
US threatens indefinite blockade on Iran: Update
Adds details on President Trump's territorial claim to strait of Hormuz Washington, 14 August (Argus) — President Donald Trump is threatening an indefinite naval blockade against Iran — and a US territorial claim on the strait of Hormuz — marking a new approach to pressuring Tehran. The US resumed its naval blockade against Iran a month ago, seeking to ratchet up economic pressure on Tehran following the collapse of a short-lived ceasefire deal. Trump on Wednesday said the US had "total control" over the strait of Hormuz and might "keep it", even as Iran continues attacking passing ships. On Friday, Trump escalated his rhetoric at an event in New York. "After we finish defeating Iran, which is being very badly defeated, pretty soon I'll be declaring the Hormuz strait a territory of the United States," Trump said. Those remarks come as the Trump administration prepares to unveil new economic sanctions against Iran next week, while pledging to maintain a naval blockade against Iran indefinitely. "We can hold it as long as we need to. Indefinitely," US defense secretary Pete Hegseth said Thursday. The growing prospect of indefinite war marks a shift from earlier in the conflict, when Trump kept claiming that a US victory was only weeks away. Trump has been claiming "total control" over the strait of Hormuz, while saying that Iran's ability to threaten vessels will diminish because the country is "totally broke". Iran also claims to have control over vessel traffic through the strait. "The strait of Hormuz is closed. Our control over all movements is complete and decisive," Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corp Navy commander Ali Azami posted on X on Thursday. Iran is using sporadic drone and missile attacks to curtail traffic through the strait. The UAE on Friday said Iran had attacked two vessels affiliated with state-owned oil company Adnoc as they were transiting the strait of Hormuz. Such attacks may be nearly impossible for the US to stop, absent a massive escalation in the war or a ceasefire deal, analysts say. "There's no simple solution to it," Hudson Institute senior fellow Michael Doran said at an event the Washington-based think tank hosted on Thursday. "We have a messy conflict, which is going to be with us for many, many months, and probably years to come." The threat of indefinite war has created a tricky political environment for Republicans heading into the midterm elections on 3 November. On Friday, Trump said consumers currently paying an average of $4/USG for gasoline in the US should remember that that higher price is providing a "great service" for the world. "For you to pay a tiny little bit more for your gasoline, just remember you're doing it so that a very evil country cannot have" a nuclear weapon, Trump said. Trump administration officials say crude exports out of the Mideast Gulf are higher than would appear from available ship tracking data. US energy secretary Chris Wright said pipelines are exporting 6mn b/d, while tankers are exporting 8mn-9mn b/d through the strait of Hormuz. "In round numbers today, 14mn-15mn b/d are leaving the Arabian Gulf region, versus the 20mn b/d pre-conflict," Wright said Thursday in a Fox News interview, referring to the Mideast Gulf. "So we're short 4mn-5mn b/d from this region, but it's much smaller hole than people think it is." By Chris Knight and Charlotte Bawol Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2026. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.
Sulphuric acid Malawi production resumes for Lotus
Sulphuric acid Malawi production resumes for Lotus
London, 13 August (Argus) — Sulphuric acid production and uranium processing has resumed at Lotus Resources' Kayelekera uranium mine, the company announced on 12 August. Both the acid plant and processing plant were halted in June "following the disruption of third-party acid supply and a setback in the commissioning of the acid plant, due to the partial failure of refractory bricks within the sulphur furnace". The acid plant has sufficient sulphur inventory onsite and supply visibility for the remainder of 2026, managing director Greg Bittar said. This is a key strategic project for Kayelekera and "will deliver improved acid supply security and significantly reduced reagent costs", he added. The sulphur burner is understood to produce around 73,000 t/yr of sulphuric acid, requiring around 24,000 t/yr of sulphur to operate at full capacity. By Fenella Rhodes Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2026. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.
Argentinian Profertil’s urea output rises 16pc in 1H26
Argentinian Profertil’s urea output rises 16pc in 1H26
Amsterdam, 12 August (Argus) — Argentina's Profertil produced 16pc more urea on the year at 617,000t in January-June, according to 90pc shareholder Adecoagro. The plant produced 340,000t of urea in the second quarter, up from 279,000t a year earlier. Adecoagro used figures on a pro forma basis from last year to compare with the period prior to the acquisition of its controlling stake in the Bahia Blanca plant in mid-December 2025. Adecoagro attributed the increase to a higher number of operational days compared with the first six months of last year, when operations halted for 31 days, the firm said in its earnings statement. The halt was largely because of a flood that affected gas supplies to the facility. Profertil sold 404,000t of urea in the first six months, down from 433,000t a year earlier. Urea revenues hit $250mn in January-June, up by 30pc from $192mn a year earlier, as prices spiked in line with international levels after the start of the Iran war at the end of February and ensuing constriction of shipments from the Middle East. The Profertil plant has 1.3mn t/yr of granular urea capacity and is the only urea facility in the country. But Pampa Energia aims to establish a competing 2.1mn t/yr urea facility in about 40 months, also in Bahia Blanca. By Harry Minihan Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2026. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.
Pupuk Indonesia closes initial DAP buy round
Pupuk Indonesia closes initial DAP buy round
Singapore, 11 August (Argus) — State-owned fertilizer group Pupuk Indonesia has closed the initial submission round for its DAP buy tender on 10 August, according to market participants. The company had issued a tender on 7 August to buy 90,000t of light or yellow granular 16-45 and/or 18-46 DAP for shipment in September-November on behalf of four of its subsidiaries. The date for the e-auction round for price submissions has not been announced. Offers must be submitted on a cfr basis, based on the 18-46 DAP. Offers for 16-45 DAP should be converted to the equivalent 18-46 DAP price. Pupuk Sriwidjaja Palembang (PSP) is seeking 30,000t of DAP for delivery to Boom Baru port, through six shipments of 5,000t each in September-December. Petrokimia Gresik (PKG) is seeking one lot of 20,000t DAP for delivery to Gresik port in October. Pupuk Kalimantan Timur (PKT) is seeking 20,000t of DAP for delivery to Bontang port through two 10,000t monthly shipments in October-November. Pupuk Kujang (PKC) is seeking 20,000t of DAP for delivery to Tanjung Priok and/or Cigading port through one 10,000t lot each in September and November. Pupuk Indonesia last awarded its tender seeking 45,000t of DAP on 16 July at $877/t cfr. By Hui Xuan Lek Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2026. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.
Spotlight content
Browse the latest thought leadership produced by our global team of experts.





