Argus European Renewable Gas Guarantee of Origin (RGGO) price assessments
RGGOs label the source of network-injected biomethane.
Use of biomethane can contribute to emissions abatement by collecting and cleaning methane-rich biogases from energy crop and waste products. This makes the fuel a readily available gaseous feedstock for the energy transition.
RGGOs enable uncommitted biomethane supply to change hands and can be transferred between an increasing number of national registries. This means a developing voluntary market, growing cross-border trade and interoperability.
Argus produces independent prices for RGGO wholesale trade.
Europe's developing biomethane market and pricing
Benefits of Argus European RGGO prices
Argus provides timely transparency to the European RGGO market, which is at an early stage of development. Argus publishes regular biomethane news and analysis in addition to price assessments.
- Biomethane producers and sellers can use Argus’ prices to evaluate portfolios, for planning, and for benchmarking supply agreements.
- Biomethane traders and market analysts can manage risk, develop trading strategies and benchmark trades using Argus’ RGGO assessments.
- Energy-intensive industrial consumers can develop biomethane-backed feedstock strategies, manage risk and purchase supply linked to the price assessments.
- Independent references can help renewable investor and financial institution portfolio development and management. The independent prices can aid informed decision-making during the energy transition.
- ESG-minded industrial and commercial business can track market developments and look to negotiate supply agreements with a view on current biomethane prices.
Argus produces prices for RGGOs originating in the UK, Danish & Dutch markets. The prices are for several vintages for energy crop and waste-derived biomethane. Argus’ assessments are published on a bid-offer and midpoint basis in €/MWh for Danish certificates and £/MWh for the UK market.
Argus’ RGGO assessment methodology (please see Argus European Natural Gas methodology) is based on close market consultation: current market structure and trade flows mean robust, weekly price assessments. Argus will look to expand geographical coverage and data frequency as the market develops.
Argus’ biomethane RGGO prices add to market leading electricity Guarantee of Origin prices, building on years of GoO market engagement and knowledge.
|Market and feedstock||Unit||Previous year||Current year||Year 1||PA code|
|UK RGGO crop||£/MWh||✓||✓||✓||0034193|
|UK RGGO waste||£/MWh||✓||✓||✓||0034195|
|Denmark BMC crop||€/MWh||✓||✓||✓||0034197|
|Denmark BMC waste||€/MWh||✓||✓||✓||0034199|
|Dutch BMC crop||€/MWh||✓||✓||✓||0034197|
|Dutch BMC waste||€/MWh||✓||✓||✓||0034199|
How to access Argus RGGO assessments
Published as part of the Argus European Natural Gas, Argus Biofuels and Argus Net Zero Europe services, you can access Argus RGGO price assessments on the Argus Direct interactive platform, have the price delivered via a datafeed or Argus Direct for Spreadsheets, receive it via one of our third-party partners or get it direct to your inbox within the daily reports.
Argus covers a variety of generating fuels, biofuels and energy transition markets in several reports. Related commodity price data, news and analysis are available in Argus European Natural Gas, Argus Biofuels, Argus European Electricity and Argus Hydrogen and Future Fuels.
Request more information