Houthi missiles hit bulk carrier in Red Sea: US Centcom

  • Market: Agriculture, Freight
  • 29/05/24

Yemen-based Houthi militants launched five anti-ship ballistic missiles in the Red Sea on 28 May, with three striking the Greek-owned and operated bulk carrier Laax, said US Central Command (Centcom).

But the Marshall Islands-flagged Laax is continuing its voyage with no injuries reported. The vessel had unloaded about 60,000t of soybean meal at the Turkish port of Ceyhan on 21 May and is now ballasting to Imam Khomeini port in Iran, according to data from global trade and analytics platform Kpler.

Centcom forces have also destroyed more than 10 uncrewed aerial systems over the Red Sea in the past week, after determining that they presented "an imminent threat to merchant vessels in the region". The systems were launched from a Houthi-controlled area of Yemen. The Houthis have also launched five other anti-ship ballistic missiles since 18 May when a Houthi missile hit an oil tanker.

Oil prices are rising as the conflict in the Middle East widens. An Egyptian soldier was killed in a clash with Israeli forces at the Rafah border crossing between Gaza and Egypt earlier this week. The Egyptian Armed Forces are investigating the incident, spokesperson Ghareeb Abdel Hafez said on 27 May. "A dialogue is taking place with the Egyptian side," the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said.

The IDF said on 7 May that it is conducting "targeted strikes against Hamas terror targets in eastern Rafah in southern Gaza". Israel's war cabinet "unanimously decided" that Israel would continue its operation in Rafah to apply military pressure on Gaza-based Hamas to advance the release of Israeli hostages, Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu said.

The Ice front-month July Brent contract was at $84.40/bl at 03:40am GMT, up by 0.2pc from the previous settlement and by about 1.6pc from 27 May. The front-month July WTI crude contract was at $80.11/bl, up by around 0.4pc from the previous settlement and by 3pc from 27 May.


Sharelinkedin-sharetwitter-sharefacebook-shareemail-share

Related news posts

Argus illuminates the markets by putting a lens on the areas that matter most to you. The market news and commentary we publish reveals vital insights that enable you to make stronger, well-informed decisions. Explore a selection of news stories related to this one.

News
18/06/24

Tropical storm warning for South Texas coast: Update

Tropical storm warning for South Texas coast: Update

Updates with closure of Galveston, Texas City ports. New York, 18 June (Argus) — A tropical storm warning has been issued for parts of south Texas and northeastern Mexico, bringing with it the risk of heavy rainfall and flooding. The warning is in effect for the Texas coast from Port O'Connor south to the mouth of the Rio Grande, as well as the northeastern coast of Mexico, according to the National Hurricane Center. "The disturbance is very large with rainfall, coastal flooding, and wind impacts likely to occur far from the center along the coasts of Texas and northeastern Mexico," the center said overnight. Maximum sustained winds this morning remained near 40 mph and the disturbance is forecast to become a tropical storm by Wednesday. The system has been classified as a potential tropical cyclone by the center since it has not yet become better organized, but is expected to become the first named storm system of the year by early Wednesday. The port of Corpus Christi in South Texas and the Houston Ship Channel remained open as of Tuesday morning, but the nearby ports of Galveston and Texas City closed to inbound and outbound shipping traffic at 10pm ET Monday due to heavy weather, the US Coast Guard said. The system was expected to disrupt ship-to-ship transfer operations off the Texas coast as of Monday evening because of heavy seas. In the Gulf of Mexico, the transfer typically is from an Aframax or Suezmax onto a very large crude carrier (VLCC) at designated lightering zones near Corpus Christi, Galveston and Beaumont-Port Arthur. Prolonged lightering delays can prevent crude tanker tonnage from becoming available and exert upward pressure on freight rates, while also adding to demurrage fees. The storm is expected to turn towards the west-northwest and west tonight and Wednesday, with the system forecast to approach the western Gulf coast late Wednesday, the NHC said. Rainfall totals of 5 to 10 inches are seen across northeast Mexico into South Texas, with maximum totals of 15 inches possible. Flash and urban flooding are likely to follow with river flooding. By Stephen Cunningham and Tray Swanson Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2024. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.

Find out more
News

Porto Alegre, Brazil partially reopens post-flood


17/06/24
News
17/06/24

Porto Alegre, Brazil partially reopens post-flood

Sao Paulo, 17 June (Argus) — The Porto Alegre port, in Brazil's flood-hit southern Rio Grande do Sul state, partially resumed operations last week while other area ports continue to recover. Activities had been suspended at Porto Alegre since 2 May, following the unprecedented floods that hit the state in late April and May, but there was a partial reopening on 14 June. Porto Alegre is still carrying out cleaning and maintenance, and port authority Portos RS is still analyzing damage to infrastructure. The first operation will take place at the POA02 terminal, leased by logistic firm Serra Morena. The 60,456 dwt bulk carrier Nord Mississipi will be unloading inputs for fertilizer production. Porto Alegre is one of three ports in Rio Grande do Sul, along with Pelotas and Rio Grande. Pelotas was also hit by the floods but resumed operations on 21 May. The port of Rio Grande did not suspend operations but has had to reduce the draft of ships allowed in to port because of debris and sediment left by the flooding. The draft at the Bunge, Bianchini and Termasa/Tergrasa terminals was reduced to 12.8 meters (42ft) on 21 May and is now 11.9m. Rio Grande do Sul is once again on alert because of the forecast of new rains in the state over the next few days. By João Petrini Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2024. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.

News

Rains return to Brazil's Rio Grande do Sul state


17/06/24
News
17/06/24

Rains return to Brazil's Rio Grande do Sul state

Sao Paulo, 17 June (Argus) — Rainfall returned to Brazil's flood-hit Rio Grande do Sul state over the weekend and is likely to remain until Wednesday, according to meteorological firm Climatempo. Downpours started in late April brought havoc to the state, flooding rivers and lakes and hampering several logistics points. Several state and national highways are still damaged and the state's main airport is likely to remain closed until the end of the year. The weather had eased in the last few weeks, with lake and river levels dropping below flood levels since at least 9 June. But two new cold fronts brought rains to the state once again on 15 June, Climatempo said. Rains are likely to reach an accumulated 200-300mm (7.9-11.8in) from 15-19 June in the state's central-northern and northwestern regions, Climatempo said. Other areas will receive 80-150mm in the same span. Showers in the central-northern region of the state hit 50-60mm on 16 June alone, according to the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. The Cai and Jacui rivers have reached above-flood levels once again, according to the state's civil defense. The Taquari River's levels are "above caution quotas," reaching 17m (55.7ft). Levels need to be below 5m to be considered normal. Civil defense authorities have also issued a flood warning for those that live close to the Sinos River, asking them to evacuate risky areas. Rio Grande do Sul is one of Brazil's main agricultural states. The US Department of Agriculture has cut the state's 2023-24 soybean production estimate because of the floods. The extreme weather has left at least 176 dead and over 422,000 people displaced, according to the civil defense's latest report published on 14 June. By Lucas Parolin Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2024. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.

News

Houthis strike bulk carrier in Gulf of Aden: Update


14/06/24
News
14/06/24

Houthis strike bulk carrier in Gulf of Aden: Update

Adds ship evacuated, drifting Singapore, 14 June (Argus) — A bulk cargo carrier struck by Yemen-based Houthi militants in the Gulf of Aden has been abandoned and is drifting, according to UK Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO). The Ukrainian-owned, Polish-operated Verbena was hit three times by missiles, US Central Command (Centcom) said earlier today. The Palau-flagged bulker most recently docked in Malaysia and was headed to Italy carrying wood construction material, according to Centcom. UKMTO said the ship's crew has been evacuated by military authorities and Verbena is now drifting, unlit. UKMTO urged caution in the area. A Houthi unmanned surface vessel struck the Greek-owned and operated bulk carrier Tutor in the Red Sea on 12 June, which resulted in severe flooding and damage to the engine room. Tutor most recently docked in Russia, according to Centcom. It was heading to Jordan's Aqaba port, according to global trade analytics platform Kpler, with its last known cargo being corn. By Tng Yong Li and Ben Winkley Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2024. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.

News

Houthis strike bulk carrier in Gulf of Aden: US Centcom


14/06/24
News
14/06/24

Houthis strike bulk carrier in Gulf of Aden: US Centcom

Singapore, 14 June (Argus) — Yemen-based Houthi militants struck the Ukrainian-owned and Polish-operated bulk cargo carrier Verbena in the Gulf of Aden, US Central Command (Centcom) said today, possibly the second such attack on ships this month. The Palau-flagged Verbena was first struck by two Houthi anti-ship cruise missiles on 13 June, which resulted in damage and fires. The Houthis struck it again later with an anti-ship ballistic missile. The vessel most recently docked in Malaysia and was headed to Italy carrying wood construction material, according to Centcom. This latest attack comes after a Houthi unmanned surface vessel struck the Greek-owned and operated vessel Tutor in the Red Sea on 12 June, which resulted in severe flooding and damage to the engine room. The Tutor most recently docked in Russia, according to Centcom. The bulk carrier was planned to arrive at Jordan's Aqaba port on 14 June, according to global trade analytics platform Kpler, with its last known cargo being corn. Oil prices edged down despite continuing tensions in the Red Sea. The Ice front-month August Brent contract was at $82.42/bl at 02:43 GMT, down by 0.4pc from the previous settlement. The front-month July WTI crude contract was at $78.21/bl, down by around 0.5pc. By Tng Yong Li Send comments and request more information at feedback@argusmedia.com Copyright © 2024. Argus Media group . All rights reserved.

Generic Hero Banner

Business intelligence reports

Get concise, trustworthy and unbiased analysis of the latest trends and developments in oil and energy markets. These reports are specially created for decision makers who don’t have time to track markets day-by-day, minute-by-minute.

Learn more